John Cummings is a strategic communications advisor with three decades of experience. Throughout his career, he has helped to position a diverse range of public entities and firms, including natural resources, water, public utilities, mining, manufacturing financial services, telecommunications, health care and economic development agencies.
- Project management
- Strategic planning and counsel
- Issues management and crisis communications
- Communications to support advocacy including briefs, abstracts, white papers and one-pagers
- Before working as a consultant, John held several corporate communications leadership positions at companies such as Genesis, Johns Manville (a Berkshire Hathaway company) and PacifiCorp.
- Directed communications for NERCO on of the west’s leading electric utilities.
- Niche expertise includes public utilities, water, environmental sustainability, investor relations, message development and issues management.
- Served as the economic development manager for the State of Wyoming, where he advocated for natural resource development, primarily in the Powder River Basin.
- Key strategist and technical writer on the Lake Powell Pipeline project.
- Strategic counselor and planning advisor on Aurora Water new supply projects.
Education and Affiliations
John holds both bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Wyoming, and is the former president of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the National Investor Relations Institute. Devoted to giving back to others, John is a past board member of the Alaska chapter of United Way.